Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blogging

Blogging... I’ve been a skeptic for a long time. I’ve rolled the idea of starting a blog around in my head many times, but never felt like I had anything worth blogging about. So I decided that I would not create a blog until I could write something that had purpose. So... the purpose of this blog is twofold: First, I have been incredibly blessed with a job that allows me to travel often and to some very cool places. I rarely get to share all of the pictures, stories and experiences with the important people in my life. So tune in here for the latest updates when I’ve been out and about (coming soon… Japan).

What makes my job and my travel such a blessing is more than just where I get to go and what I get to do. It’s the people that I meet. This world is full of problems bigger than most of us who live comfortable lives take time to realize. The needs that surround us – hunger, disease, environmental issues, equal rights, poverty, (just to name a few) – are overwhelming. That’s the bad news. The good news is that there are many people in this world who see those needs, and more importantly, are doing something about them. Individuals, groups, families, organizations and companies are taking steps every day to help make our world better. I’ve been lucky enough to be thrown into the paths of some of these people and organizations, and I think their stories deserve to be shared. Purpose number two.

It’s also noteworthy that the people whose stories I’ll share inspired the title of my blog. “More Than a Feeling” – yeah, it’s a song I love to listen to on a sunny day with my windows rolled down. And it’s also a reminder for me. A reminder that life is about more than the feelings we have – it’s about what we do with those feelings. So we’re inspired, energized, frustrated, elated, or convicted… big deal. Until we do something about what we experience, see and feel, it means nothing. So... here’s to doing.

Speaking of doing something, check out Pledge 5… an initiative by Starbucks to encourage community service. Imagine if everyone in America gave just five hours of their time to their community. What kind of impact could we make together? What a simple idea! Check it out at http://pledge5.starbucks.com/

I’m heading to Japan with the national FFA officers Friday morning. I’ll do my best to post updates and pictures throughout the trip. The officers will also be posting daily as time and internet access allows. You can read their blog at http://www.ffa.org/blogs/nationalofficers/index.html.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Renee,
    You have just left the office to journey across the world to have a grand adventure!! Am I a bit jealous...Of course :) but I can think of no other person who has your ability to take in a moment and savor it for all it is worth. You intentionally look for a purpose. Not an easy task, and when you find it, you do your best to understand and appreciate it, and then move forward to enjoy the next adventure, to make a difference, and to be thankful for your blessings. Enjoy yourself! I can't wait for your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read your writing since our rambling letters in high school......but you are a great writer. I like your conversational but impeccably clear tone. You could easily do PR for companies, because you know how to connect with people.

    Keep up the blogging, and never doubt that you have interesting things to write about. And even if you don't, well, it's never stopped me :).

    --Ben

    ReplyDelete