Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One More Thing I Don't Need

Six months of no spending was an adventure, and I learned a lot about needs, wants, giving, the Lord and myself during that time. Recently, I realized there is something else I don't need. It's different than "No More Stuff" because it's intangible, but often leads to lots of "stuff" that is really great and fun, but totally unnecessary. It's...

My Birthday
Here's the deal... I love birthday presents, I really do. But lately as Whitney and I have been talking about how we were going to celebrate on October 31 and what we want for our birthdays (yes... we are roomates AND we have the same birthday!) we also began to talk about how convicted we feel collecting THINGS when
ONE in EIGHT people in our global community don't have access to clean drinking water.
So... we are giving up our birthday in hopes that together, with you, we can help provide clean drinking water to a village of people on the other side of the world that none of us will probably ever meet. What does "giving it up" mean? It means that we are asking anyone who had planned on buying us a gift/card/dinner/coffee/whatever... to instead donate the amount of money they would have spent to help build a well, even if it's only a few dollars. All of the money we recieve will go to Charity:Water. And get this...
$20 will provide one person with clean water for...
20 years.
The purpose is NOT to make you feel obligated. We would never want to ask for gifts or ask anyone who wouldn't typcially do something for our birthdays to feel like they have to spend money. The purpose is to transfer something we don't need to something that others DO need.
My birthday: one more thing I don't need.
For more info on Charity:Water, the organization donations will go to, click on the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment