Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sweet Memories & New Adventures

It's the new year! I felt a weird mix of emotions as the clock counted down the final seconds of 2009. Usually New Years is exciting, but honestly not all that significant to me. But this year felt different for some reason. Perhaps I'm more aware of the fact that with each drop of the ball there is more time and distance between old memories that I hold dear. Maybe it's that as each year passes I feel more anxious about what I'm contributing to the world and how I'm making it better. Or maybe it's just that with the passing of 2009, I was closing out a really good year. I don't know what it was... nothing major, but just a strange, unfamiliar and very poignant mix of sadness, excitement, wistfullness and anticipation during the hours that led up to the noise makers, confetti and cheers as the new year rang in.

2009 was indeed a great year for me. Some highlights:

- The move to my new neighborhood, Broadripple, and the addition of a roommate (that's us below). These two events changed my lifestyle significantly, for the better. I've never enjoyed Indy so much.


- My first trip to Japan. I learned so much about culture, humanity, humility and love. I can't wait to go back later this month.

- I saw one of my favorite artists, Dave Barnes, in concert for the first time. He is awesome, and is doing good things with his success.

- Because of that concert, I joined Mocha Club and learned how much $7 can really do.

-Also, speaking of concerts, I spent a most memorable evening with great friends watching Fall Out Boy and Blink 182. So fun.
- I had a fantastic 2 week visit to California, a highlight of which was spending Easter with the Eller family and friends (below with Amy & Stacy.)
- I walked barefoot for an entire day, and was humbled as people stared at me, gave me dirty looks when I entered establishments and I felt each burn, scratch and stab on my blessedly tender and protected feet.
- I spent a totally relaxing and purely fun girls weekend in Florida for Tracy's bachelorette party.

-I was blessed to attend and help celebrate the wedding of two great friends, Christy and Elio.

-I had the best time standing beside my best friend Tracy as she and Seth (my new best friend in law) :) exchanged their vows and had a fantastic celebration to follow!

- I spent a fantastic week in DC with new and old friends - some of the best I have - catching up, adventuring around the city, and celebrating the 4th of July on the national mall & watching the fireworks (below). I miss and love that city and those people.

- I planned, directed, and "called the show" on my own for the first time for the National FFA Convention sessions in Conseco Fieldhouse.

- I spent a year with and said goodbye to my first full team of national officers as their manager. We all learned a lot. :)

- I started attending a small group at my church (when I'm actually in town) and have tried to lay a foundation to experience more authentic spiritual fellowship.
- My sister welcomed her first child, a sweet little boy named Bentley, and I got to experience the first joys of being an aunt and having your heart completely captivated by another person.
- I got to spend significant time at home for both Thanksgiving AND Christmas, and had a great time with family and friends.
So... all in all, 2009 was a year full of growth, joy, love, new experiences, learning, wonderful people, and great adventure. I guess that's why I was a bit sad to see it go. That being said, I am eagerly anticipating all that 2010 will bring. I don't have any "resolutions" for the new year, but do have some renewed goals that are focused on learning more, building deeper relationships with the people in my life and with Christ, and being more disciplined and healthy. As we embark on 2010, I'm looking forward to the unknown, and excited for what is yet to be.
Cheers to a great year, and thanks for being a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment